Getting a dog is an exciting time. You’re bringing a new member of the family into your home, and you’re in for many years of love, laughs, and plenty of doggy kisses. But for first-time dog owners, it can also be a challenge. Caring for a dog is a skill in and of itself, and it’s hard to know how best to do it on first pass. At Betsy Farms, we’re proud to help dog owners everywhere care for their dogs’ health by crafting healthy dog snacks from all-natural ingredients. Here are our 10 biggest tips that first-time dog owners need to know.
Top 10 Tips for Owning a Dog
Bringing home a dog for the first time? Here are our 10 tips for first-time dog owners:
- Do Your Research: First things first. Owning a dog is a major commitment, and it’s crucial to know what you’re in for. Do extensive research on the breeds you’re considering, which dogs would do well considering your home and climate, and all the other care needs you’ll need to cover.
- Train Proactively: Your dogs first months in your home set the tone for your entire life with them, so you’ll need to use them well. We recommend hiring a trainer or taking classes ahead of time so you know exactly how to train your pup when the time comes.
- Take Time to Bond: When you first bring your pup home, remember that they don’t know you yet. Clear out as much time as you can to spend quality time and form a bond with your dog, as this will benefit you both for the rest of your dog’s life.
- Reach Out: Chances are, you know plenty of dog owners – so talk to them. Ask your dog-owning friends for advice, tips, and everything they wish they’d known at first.
- Stock Up On Supplies: Leashes, crates, beds, collars, ID tags, vaccinations… the list of things you’ll need for your new pup can seem endless. Save yourself the hassle by purchasing everything ahead of time so you can focus on your furry friend as soon as you bring them home.
- Plan Ahead When You’re Not Home: One of the hardest things for new dogs is the time that you’re gone, so plan ahead. Try hiring a dog walker to make sure your dog can get exercise and use the bathroom when you’re out of the house.
- Socialize for Success: If you’re getting a puppy, remember that just like human babies, they need proper socialization for healthy development. Make sure to plan play dates with other dogs, as they’ll benefit your pup’s temperament for a lifetime.
- Mind Leash Laws: It feels great to let your dog run free from the leash, but remember that many spaces have laws against this. Be sure to keep your dog on a leash wherever required by law, and visit the dog park for that vital leash-free play.
- Follow Feeding Guidelines: Healthy weight management is important for a healthy dog, so make sure you closely follow feeding guidelines and avoid feeding your pup human food.
- Choose Healthy Dog Snacks: Finally, remember that your dog needs healthy food just like you do. Choose dog snacks and food made from healthy, natural ingredients – like the dog jerky we make at Betsy Farms.
Try Our Healthy Jerky for Dogs Today
Bringing home a new dog is one of life’s most exciting adventures, and with these tips, you should have no problem creating a healthy, loving relationship with your new four-legged friend. And if you’re looking for healthy, dog-friendly treats your pup will love, we can help. Betsy Farms proudly crafts healthy dog snacks from ingredients sourced right here in the USA, meaning you know you’re getting 100% quality. Find a distributor near you and try our healthy dog snacks today!